CAMPA CHARTER SCHOOL
1962-84 Linden Blvd.
Brooklyn, New York 11207
Regular Board Meeting Minutes
September 13, 2016
The Board of Trustees meeting for CAMPA was held on Tuesday, September 13, 2016. The meeting was called to order at 5:45 PM by the Chair, Dr. Rock.
The members present were:
Dr. Daryl Rock JoAnne Challenger
Viola Abbott Michele Weekes
Joan Ramsey Deborah Knight
Julia McDonald Larry Hughes
Latoya Massey, Principal
No minutes for August, because no regular Board meeting was held.
Principal’s Report – Submitted by Latoya S. Massey
- Recruitment Plan – calling the entire database of students who are not attending CAMPA as yet.
- Enrollment – 65 students on ATS roster. Calling families who have not shown up.
- Teacher Hire – PE teacher candidates: Christopher Charles and Jamel Powell. Math teacher, Rodney Siau.
- Curriculum: Math, Jump Math; ELA, Engage NY and Language Arts; Social Studies, History Alive; Science; It’s About Time
- Copiers – ATS copiers arrived with two desktop computers, industrial size copier located in the main office.
- Food Service – Revolution Foods is being used, delivering breakfast, lunch, snack
- Funding Opportunity – Expecting CEI grant in a few weeks ; submitted DYCD funding paper work for $185,000
- Transportation – meeting with families to provide transportation via yellow bus service
- Building – CAMPA needs paper towel dispensers, room numbers, white boards, projector boards, computers; water fountains need to be cleaned for drinking; bell schedule
- Security – Mr. Taylor works from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM; we have a safety meeting scheduled to discuss the safety plan. All non-employees need to sign in with ID.
- School Protocols – establishing a finalized schedule; transition expectations for scholars; bathroom times; homeroom/advisory
Opening Day Review
- Rock Stated that systems and procedures are not in place
- Schedules are not clear to students nor to staff
- Reduce the number of classes
- Send message to parents that we still have seats available
- Meet with students to start the day and set the tone daily for first month
- Develop 2 to 3 affirmatives that will represent CAMPA
- Assign specific duties to administrative staff with specific deadlines
Each Board member also made suggestions on what could be done to improve the culture and structure.
Future Recruitment Suggestions – Michele Weeks
- Phone calls
- Send fliers home with students
- Schedule an Open House for parents
- Update current website
- Advertisements – distribute cards/fliers at churches and communities around CAMPA
Concord Baptist Church denoted $2,000 to CAMPA.
A motion was made by Viola Abbott and seconded by Joan Ramsey to buy a keyboard for the music program.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM.